Air pollution - National responses
What are the policy responses?
Due to exceedances of air quality limit values, especially of PM10 and NO2 in recent years, abatement measures have been introduced at local, regional and national levels. These measures can be regarded as additional measures on top of activities that have been in place for many years. The majority of measures address traffic, residential heating and industry and aim at compliance with the limit values after the extended deadline according to Directive 2008/50/EC.
A few examples for measures taken are:
- Sectoral ban of specific goods transport by lorries at the Inntal highway A12
- Dynamic speed limits for passenger cars at highways dependent on pollutant levels
- Subsidies for retrofitting of diesel particle filters for passenger cars and construction machinery
- Transport of construction material via rail
- Extension of tramway and regional railway lines
- Subsidies of up to 100% for exchange of old heating systems
- BAT (best available techniques) requirement for installations
- Measures to reduce heating demand in the building sector by linking subsidies to certain energetic performances